Friday, May 8, 2009

Fry's letter to 16 year old self

Stephen Fry's letter to himself:
"Dearest absurd child...Just who was the young, arrogant and confused man to whom Stephen Fry recently felt compelled to write a long and heartfelt letter? Himself, 35 years ago......Read the entire letter here... "My eyes fill with tears just to think of you. Of me. Tears splash on to my keyboard now. I am perhaps happier now than I have ever been and yet I cannot but recognise that I would trade all that I am to be you, the eternally unhappy, nervous, wild, wondering and despairing 16-year-old Stephen: angry, angst-ridden and awkward but alive...I finally know now, as I easily knew then, that the most important thing is love...(other issues) shrivel like a salted snail when compared to the towering question of love...Gay people sometimes believe that the preponderance of obstacles and terrors they encounter in their lives and relationships is intimately connected with the fact of their being gay. As it happens at least 90% of their problems are to do with love and love alone: the lack of it, the denial of it, the inequality of it...

Lots of copycat letter to my 16 year old self are popping up on blogs everywhere. How's that for an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment