Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What kind of art journal???

Monthly Discussion Topic: (on Blissfully Art Journals)
What kind of book do you use for your art journals? Do you make your own or use one you've bought? What kind of paper does it have? How about the binding? Or the size, small and manageable or really big so you can spread out? Share your tips and insight about choosing a journal...

Strangely I used to make my own journals as they were too expensive to buy when one was struggling with children.studies and mortage (and as an aside, I cannot describe the looks of horror on my childrens faces when I tell them mortage interest rates reaached 19.5% in Australia during the late 1980's recession). Now I buy my journals as I cannot afford the time to make them. I usually (but not always)use Canson hardcover blank art journals (150gsm paper), I do use other brands, some perfect bound journals that are now especially made for my requirements usually I use these as travel journals and probably about half a dozen more varieties. There are just so many varieties here in Australia and I buy from Eckersleys Art Supplies, Oxford Art Supplies and Dymocks stationary stors. Some I even buy from Ebay. My ultimate journal is one that can take collage, oil crayons, watercolour and acrylics. Most of the types I use do this for me. - Arteefaque (SJ 'Shay' Attenborough)

I have 4 art journals going at once, different sizes all, and I alternate them depending on what I'm doing and what size I need. One is an altered book (mostly poetry or book interpretations) , two are 8x10 sized watercolor paper books (my work horses, I use these most often) and one is 5x7 with handmade paper, mostly for small family portraits, notes and mementos. I usually journal, then scan and do some digital altering,, then print and glue the final printed copy in side-by-side next to the original journal page. Occasionally I print out an iBook at the mac site from the final scans of things I really enjoyed. Curious to see what others do. - xo-teri
www.quinceberry. blogspot. com
www.takingflight. ning.com

I made the journal that I'm using now because I haven't found any that I like yet. It's watercolor paper, I sewed the signatures on my sewing machine and made the covers and spine from a cereal box. I glued it all together so it's bound like a hard-cover book and I love it! :) - Goog

Journaling: I use whatever I find. I love variety, I have "formal" fake leather bound journals, I have altered book giant journal, I have a mini sized spiral sized journal, so many journals, I use them all. Last summer I found two leather covered daily reading journals which I use, I have repurposed ledgers that are nice, some wire bound "found" journals. I am finding I like the wire bound best as they open completely, unlike the traditional bound journals. I want to make a journal out of "junk" stuff and I am saving my cereal boxes for that purpose. I have an old wooden tool box use to hold most of my journals in one place. - Carol@Swallowcliffs
swallowcliffs. blogspot. com/

Well, I've used both, bought and homemade. I have found that I LOVE these journals made by a company called Kunst. They are not cheap, but are beautifully bound and the paper is SOOOOOO lovely. And, because they are so wonderful to begin with, I WILL NOT tear pages out. I am bad at that and am trying to mend my ways! So I actually have two right now, a watercolor paper journal and then a regular paper journal, both are hardcover bound. I decorate the covers with scrapbooking papers and printouts of my artwork and usually add some beads or ribbon. These are also no smaller than 9x12. I like bigger journals so I have room to draw. I tend to fill the page, so I like to have all the room I can get. And, if anyone watched Sunday Morning this Sunday, and saw the photographer with the HUGE books of his work??? I want to make a journal using FULL SHeets of watercolor paper! How cool would that be!!! HUGE!!! It makes me giddy just thinking about it! - Jenny
www.jennifermaroney .typepad. com

You captured my interest and since I had some time I had to find the segment online. For anyone interested, you can watch it here. Lovely: http://www.cbsnews. com/video/ watch/?id= 4937453n% 3fsource= search_video

I use the Kunst & Papier 6 x 9 watercolor sketchbooks. Not inexpensive, but very nice. Below is a link at Wet Paint - I hope it works. They also make them bigger - 13x9 and 13x12 - but these are pricey, so I ask for them as presents when people don't know what to get me. :-) (If anyone buys them for less, I'd love to know where.) http://www.wetpaint art.com/thumbnai l.asp?cid= 625 - teri
www.quinceberry. blogspot. com

That is so IRONIC Teri!!! Wet Paint is my art supply store that I haunt whenever I have $$$!!! And Exactly the place I bought my Kunst journals! LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!! They are one of the nicest stores, great selection, great customer service! I have the 13 x 9 watercolor and the regular paper one- the watercolor is definitely heavy duty enough, I use watercolor in it, ink, markers and all sorts of stuff. - Jennyart7
www.jennifermaroney .typepad. com

My journals are the Moleskine Watercolor books - I like the size. I am also using a re-purposed vintage ledger book, which 9 X 12 watercolor paper fits into perfectly. I also found this sweet little square scrapbook album that has nice thick, blank pages. I'll jazz up the cover and use that for a journal. I love to recycle when I can. I'll use just about anything... Kim O Group Moderator
ankiradesign@ yahoo.com http://ankira. blogspot. com

If I used just the book I would LIKE to use it would be one I made myself with watercolor paper. But I know if I made it then I would have severe "fear of the blank page" syndrome, not wanting to ruin it. So I usually use Canson with watercolor paper or the nicely bound Hand.Book Journal Company books which come in interesting shapes and lovely paper, but not that expensive.I like watercolor paper, heavy enough to withstand lots of glue or pastels. And fav size is around 8X6 or 9X 5, somewhere around there. I have several because I have many moods: a small journal mood, a goof off and draw whatever mood, a "try to do a nice page" mood, etc. Gina (who has made several handmade books and has yet to put a mark in them!!) - Gina Lighton http://www.flickr. com/photos/ littlebearblue/ http://www.geocitie s.com/lilbear768 / http://www.bearbluz art.blogspot. com

No comments:

Post a Comment