Monday, April 6, 2009

Where to get images

A question was posed to one of my art journaling groups about where you get you images... some great ideas ...
1. superstock royalty free images ... in catalogues with CD's. Each catalogue is about $250-$500 with 500 to 1,000 images depending on the catalogue. Sometimes you can pick up a 2nd hand copy via Amazon or Alibris but they will not come with the CD of the full images and one has to resort to cutting up the catalogue.
2. Ebay: You can usually get cabinet cards there. And look constantly at antique stores. One of my luckiest, best finds ever was at an antique store that was new. I bought a stack of cab cards, maybe 25 of them, for 50cents each!! (Usually I don't see them for less than $5.oo each!) Keep looking, you might get lucky!
3. Flickr - search for images with Creative Commons Licenses that allow modification. First, think of a word that might be associated with the type of image you want to use. Then scroll down and tick the boxes for: Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content. Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon. To see examples, I make most of my SoulCollage® cards this way: (see photo above)http://carostarot.blogspot.com/
4. My fave pix: free airline magazines.
5. I subscribe to the Dover Sampler of free images here:
http://www.doverpublications.com/sampler/0403
6. I belong to a lot of yahoo groups and someone is always posting free eyecandy!
7. I haunt 99¢ stores for images & art supplies.
8. Home paint stores have flyers full of beautiful homes.
9. gardening or home décor mag.
10. I use rubber and foam stamps, stickers, photocopies of pix in books, postage
stamps, origami paper, stencils, and punches.
11. I buy secondhand books, mostly travel or geography, for their pix.
12. And last, but probably most important, I shoot photos Everywhere of Everything!
You just never know when it's going to come in handy. With a digital camera, you
can print at will.
13. My favourite images are from vintage books. I buy old books from garage sales and buy ex-library books. I love the vintage feeling of old illustrations and
photos. I also buy unusual books like house plans and the like. I love the funny
old pictures from sixties and seventies boy's and girl's annuals and knowledge
books. I love fashion magazines and old national geographic magazines. I also have been taking lots of digital photos with my camera. But I have trouble if I print them with my inkjet printer, because the paint I add with mixed media makes the ink wash away. Not sure what to do about this! Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment