Friday, June 26, 2009

Bleach Discharge Painting

I've been doing so much painting of paper, but am going to try painting with bleach on dark fabric. Here's some inspiration:Gorgeous color result... from Enchanted Art, by Elizabeth, a fiber and mixed media artist living in New Mexico. She says "Here are some more bleach discharge experiments. I wanted to see if I could get some finer control over where the bleach went. This time, I used Electrasol liquid dish washer detergent with bleach, and put it into an empty glue bottle. It was a little bit too thick to get through the nozzle, so I had a little bit of a hard time squeezing it through, but not bad for a first try. The piece that is in the upper left, I did by squeezing a large amount onto the countertop, and swirling it around with my rubber faux finishing tool, and then laying the fabric on top. Got my counter nice and shiny too!

...and a lovely quilt by the same artist. I love the giraffe and the palette


Notecards...I have been having a lot of fun over the past few months painting papers. Many of the papers started off as being pages for some of my handmade books, but I was also trying to think of a way that I could show them off a little better on their own. I also sometimes do quilting and craft shows, and so I thought that these might make good pick-up items that people could buy for themselves or as a gift. I have done lots of different techniques to paint the papers including: stamping, resist, paste paper, brayer, monoprint, salt, and more. I also made a few fabric cards using some of the rust fabric that I made, and also some of the bleach discharge fabric that I did some time ago. Whether fabric or paper, I sewed each piece onto a cardstock card base, with lots of different kinds of threads. My favorite is the copper metallic! These little cards have proven to be quite addictive to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment