Tuesday, June 2, 2009

book group

(note from me to Judy re: idea of UU book group)
Hi Judy.
I'm happy to hear that there is interest in a book group. Would you be interested in getting together just the two of us to chit chat about ideas. You suggestion of 4 Agreements is an excellent choice... and perhaps we can put that on the schedule for the fall (as per your suggestion, and you could facilitate that)...

And in the meantime, I would like to send a short list of possible books to the 8 members (or maybe more than 8 after the rest of the fellowship has a chance to sign up)... and ask the members to suggest books they'd like to discuss and then do a vote to select the books of most interest to the majority. I'd like to assign them one per month for June, July, August, September, October ... then I'll be gone, but the groups will hopefully continue.

Just to start a list of possibilities... (between you and me at this point)
I LOVE the book "Attitudes of Gratitude" from Pat... ========================================================
eg. This is what I have checked out from the library right now: (not to say these are all appropriate for a book group, just a sample of what I'm currently looking at)

Facing the lion, being the lion : finding inner courage where it lives Nepo, Mark.


The exquisite risk : daring to live an authentic life Nepo, Mark


Seven masters, one path : meditation secrets from the world's greatest teachers Selby, John,


Finding the deep river within : a woman's guide to recovering balance and meaning in everyday life Seixas, Abby,


The Simple abundance companion : following your authentic path to something more Ban Breathnach, Sarah (PLUS I have several of Sarah BB books and love to read entries on a regular basis)


Returning to my mother's house : taking back the wisdom of the feminine Straub, Gail.


Change your thoughts, change your life : living the wisdom of the Tao Dyer, Wayne


Keys to the open gate : a woman's spirituality sourcebook Snow, Kimberley .


Way of the winding path : a map for the labyrinth of life Hogan, Eve Eschner,


Return of the great goddess Mutén, Burleigh.


How, then, shall we live? : four simple questions that reveal the beauty and meaning of our lives Muller, Wayne ,
this is an excellent book. It is the main question I ask of myself DAILY. I don't go to church or read books so much to seek answers to questions such as why the universe is as it is, or what is the "purpose" of life (I believe that we CREATE OUR OWN PURPOSE)... instead I ask myself every single day HOW SHALL I LIVE today. It harks back to the comment by Rabbi Kushner in "When Bad Things Happen to Good People", where he says don't ask WHY it happened. Ask HOW shall I live now that it has happened.


Spiritual Rx : prescriptions for living a meaningful life Brussat, Frederic.


Spiritual literacy : reading the sacred in everyday life Brussat, Frederic.


The journey to the sacred garden : a guide to traveling in the spiritual realms Wesselman, Henry Barnard.


Divine sparks : collected wisdom of the heart Speerstra, Karen.


The life organizer : a woman's guide to a mindful year Louden, Jennifer.

=============================
Not all those books make sense for a book group... and some are geared to women.

others that come to mind:
Four Agreements... we will definitely do that!!!


Tuesdays with Morrie,
Stroke of Insight by Jill Boldt Taylor ... excellent!!
Eat,Pray,Love by Elizabeth Gilber
Three Cups of Tea


and here are some that look intriguing... but I haven't read...













So those are just some thoughts based on things I have in front of me this minute.

I know you have lots and lots of books. What are some you'd recommend.

So, do you have time to get together. I'm wide open during most days...
Blessings... Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment