Sunday, June 21, 2009

Catalyst Challenges 61-67

Catalyst 61: Tell us about something that you always put off doing. Why
Opal Says:

Thinking about this week’s catalyst, “What Do You Put Off Doing,” I had no trouble coming up with several things. I am basically a procrastinator and will put off doing something for as long as I can. I had a plethora of possibilities to choose from. Where I live, we are just beginning to see signs that the long, hard, wet and cold winter is at last over. When the temperature is above 58 degrees, the neighbors are out in shorts and short sleeves, bringing their gardens to life. Every year I watch. And every year my non-existent garden, my bluff yard, stays the same. I put off any kind of work in the yard. I can grow nothing. The hardy survive! That is my gardening motto.

Last week I was visiting a friend’s quilting studio, and as I watched her trim off the corners of blocks, each one fluttering to the floor, the idea for my response took shape. I picked up all those triangles, each one with a flower or leaves or stems…and laid them out on the table. I saw the garden I wished I had. My piece shows the flowers and blooms that I long to nurture and grow. These reclaimed pieces and bits of growing things surround the reality of my yard. It makes me smile.

Catalyst 62: What’s a personality trait you admire/seek in others? Why

Catalyst 63: Tell us about your perfect day (either one you’ve had or one you imagine.)Karen Says:

There are some days that are meant to be perfect. Like a wedding day, a graduation, a birth, a honeymoon. But then there are those other days that start out absolutely ordinary. Never promising more. On rare occasions, one of these days turn out magnificent. Unexpected. Perfect. Those are the extraordinary moments life is made out of. Joshua Tree was one of those days for me. I will never, ever forget it.



Catalyst 64: Create art about a time when something that then seemed small happened but then it ended up changing your life.
Karen Says: Years ago, I was sitting at school with a friend who told me that a friend of hers (someone I only knew as an acquaintance) had had a really bad day. I am not sure what prompted me, but I emailed her friend that day and asked him if he was ok. Next thing I know, we were hanging out, becoming friends. And then dating. And then we got married. And now we have two kids. It all started with one single email. Amazing what can change in a moment.



Catalyst 65: Tell us about one thing you’d change about yourself (physical or otherwise).
Karen writes: When I was younger, I used to travel in a crowd of beautiful women. I don’t know how it happened but all my female “friends” were drop dead gorgeous and within a few weeks, my self-image managed to wither away to nothing. At the time, I started playing a game where each time I caught myself wishing I had someone else’s something (like hair or eyes or nose or legs) I would force the issue.

I told myself that the rules were such that I wasn’t allowed to take body parts or personality traits and plug them into the rest of me. If I liked someone’s something, I had to completely change places with that person. Not only did I get their whole body, but I got all their personal issues, emotions, family, psychological state of mind, past, living status, job and anything else you can think of. I basically forced myself to choose between me and this random (or in some cases not so random) person. Yeah, I got to have their small nose or blue eyes, but was I ready to also have their eating disorder? How about the disinterested mom? Was I willing to give up all of who I am to look like this person? It was my way of forcing myself to face the fact that people don’t come in pieces. You want a part, you get the whole thing. How do you like them apples?

In fifteen years, I’ve never met one person I was willing to change places with. I don’t know if it was the fact that I wasn’t willing to give up certain aspects of who I am of my life or the fact that I tend to favor the known over the unknown. Looking at a woman walking down the street, I can see she has pretty hair or a size-2 figure, but I can’t see what goes on in her head or how much she suffers daily. With me, at least I know the hand I am dealt and I know how to live within its limits, when to push it, when to enjoy it. The game’s done a lot to improve my self-esteem.







Catalyst 66: Create art around someone or something that you still have unfinished business with (something that’s been bothering you for a while.).
Karen Says: Four years ago, when my son was born I had a falling out with a good friend. We haven’t spoken since. Over the years I’ve often wondered if it was worth it. The fight we had. Whether it was worth losing the friendship. I am not sure. Sometimes I think maybe it wasn’t… This digital page uses the beautiful papers and elements from Kerry Lynn Yeary of Kenner Road.

Catalyst 67: What’s your favorite part about being a woman or a man? Karen Says:

I am a firm believer that women are the better and stronger gender. Maybe because I’ve been lucky enough never to suffer any kind of discrimination as a woman so I only see the advantages. The ability to carry babies. The ability to multitask and to love unconditionally. To care. To feel. To cry. To communicate. To be soft and tender when needed and tough when needed. To be gentle. To be intelligent and emotional at the same time. To get things done.

I am not sure why but I’ve always felt that women are, in general, more capable and more intelligent then men. I hold women in the highest regard and feel like I’m honored and delighted to be one. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment